Taking Child Out-of-State

Family Law attorney Vanessa Sims represents both California and out-of-state residents in divorce and child custody matters. We understand the intricacies of the overlapping laws relating to divorce, child custody, and modifications.

Moving Out-of-State With a Child

Before a parent with a custody-sharing agreement can move out-of-state with his or her child, the move away must be approved by the court. A number of factors are considered, including:

  • The reason for the move
  • The distance away from the other parent
  • The impact on the child

Whether you are looking to move with your child, or you wish to prevent your child from moving out-of-state with their other parent, we can explain your legal rights and options.


Palm Springs Joint Custody Attorneys

Can a custodial parent leave the state of California with a child after divorce? Generally speaking, the answer is yes if a parent is able to show a good faith basis for the relocation as defined in relevant case and statutory law.

Out-of-State Clients

We can represent non-California residents in California legal proceedings. If you are a parent who is dealing with a child custody issue, and your child is living in California with his or her other parent, we can do whatever is needed to assist you. Similarly, if you are living out-of-state but are involved in a California divorce, we can help. Contact Family Law Vanessa Sims for more information.

OFFICE HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:30 am to 5 pm.
TELEPHONE HOURS: We attempt to connect you with Attorney Vanessa Sims up to 10 PM ~ 7 Days a Week!

Law Offices of Vanessa Sims

"Dedicated to your needs ▪ Focused on your success"

Contact Page & Map to Office

Palm Springs • Palm Desert • Rancho Mirage • Indian Wells • Cathedral City • Desert Hot Springs • Thousand Palms Bermuda Dunes • La Quinta • Indio • Coachella • & Surrounding Communities